I’ve just started back at school and the post with my Disney Store classic Anna and Elsa dolls that I alluded to last time is still in the pipeline-the more photos I took of them, the more I wanted to take and the less I could decide which ones to put in the post-but I’m putting the finishing touches on it and should have it posted by the end of the coming week. In other news, The Dorky Doll Collector has given me a Liebster Award! This is the first time I’ve ever gotten a blogging award, so it’s a huge honor!
1. Thank the person who nominated you and link their blog 2.Give your readers 11 random facts about yourself. 3. Answer the 11 questions from the person who nominated you. 4. Nominate 11 bloggers to receive this award. 5. Invent 11 questions for your nominees.
1. I have over 200 Barbie and Barbie-related dolls (at last count about 10 years ago-the number’s probably closer to 300 now), a few Disney-branded (both Mattel and Disney Store) dolls, about 15 American Girls, and about 15 porcelain dolls in my collection.
2. I’ve been collecting dolls for as long as I can remember-I count my childhood years in there because I started picking out adult collector dolls at about 8 years old and because as a general rule I’ve always favored deboxing my dolls.
3. I always either take the veggies off my cheeseburgers or build them without veggies-especially when it’s a bacon cheeseburger.
4. I took Spanish and French classes from middle school through college because I loved the sounds of the languages, but I wasn’t great at retention-I can read them but can only speak them at a rudimentary level, and thus rely on Google Translate.
5. About 10 years ago I used my Barbies to cobble together a prom-themed diorama in a display case in the teen section of my local library. The diorama included a tribute to Pretty in Pink (which had reached an anniversary-I believe the 20th-at the time) using Teen Skipper’s red-haired friend Courtney as Andie, Generation Girl Blaine as Blane, and a Bratz Boy as Duckie, despite the fact that I didn’t really have any movie-accurate doll outfits and couldn’t make them due to being terminally bad at most things crafty.
6. I sometimes see celebrities in Barbie and friend/family dolls-sometimes due to an actual physical resemblance and sometimes it’s just something undefinable that reminds me of the celeb-and I’m planning a blog post where I list all my celebrity Barbies, whether they’re actually modeled after the celebs or I just saw them that way.
7. I love superheroes, but hate how all the comic books and related movies seem to be going in such a dark direction lately (meaning the last 25-30 years or so).
8. I watched Jeopardy! for many years before working my way into the contestant pool this summer.
9. Besides dolls, I hope to own one copy (not necessarily 1st editions, although I have acquired several) of every Stephen King book by the time I die.
10. My cousin and I are the same shoe size, so I’ve gotten some awesome pairs of shoes by shopping her closet when she bought new ones.
11. My doll collection has practically no limits-I believe any dolls of roughly similar proportions can play well with each other.
Dorky Doll Collector’s questions and my answers:
1. “What is the one doll or toy related item that you dream of owning one day?” There are two My Scene dolls that I consider grail dolls-Jammin’ in Jamaica Jai (with or without Sutton) and Karaoke Divas Nia (she has strawberry blonde hair and tons of purple in her hair/outfit/makeup, and purple is like catnip for me).
2. “Anime, Yay or Nay?” In high school I had a group of friends who loved manga and anime, and I enjoyed it when I hung out with them, but I lost interest after we lost touch with each other. I might get back into it someday-I don’t know-but nay for now. 3. “Favorite candy?” I’m chewing this awesome grape lemonade-flavored variety of Trident Layers gum. I also love vanilla Tootsie Rolls, cookies & cream Hershey bars, Kit Kats (which I’ve referred to as Fancy Feast ever since I watched Andy try to complete the Kit Kat jingle on The Office US), and anything with butterscotch, grape, or blue raspberry flavors.
4. “What would your dream job be?” I would love to be a freelance editor and proofreader, taking projects on commission, setting my own hours, and working whenever and wherever I want-including at Starbucks.
5. “What is your current favorite movie or TV show?” I’m waiting excitedly for Castle to come back for season 8, which should happen within the next two weeks. Right now I’m working my way through season 1 of Arrested Development online-went through the first five episodes today. OK, my new AD kick may have something to do with the fact that I find Will Arnett incredibly sexy. OK, let’s just replace the “may have” in that last sentence with “definitely has,” and that’s all I’m gonna say here.
6. “What is your favorite doll or toy related item that you currently own?” Probably a 4-way tie between Mattel’s Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse Raquelle and Fashionistas In the Spotlight Summer and the aforementioned Anna and Elsa.
7. “Have you ever cried during a movie or TV show that is mainly targeted at children?” I can’t say that I have, but I do sometimes get choked up.
8. “What is your favorite holiday?” More ties-Christmas for the decorations/gifts/music (especially Trans-Siberian Orchestra)/all-around happiness and New Year’s for the more casual atmosphere.
9. “What is your favorite season?” While I love going on summer vacations and wearing my awesome boots and blue faux fur coat in the winter, my favorite season would have to be yet another tie, this one between spring and fall-it’s neither hot as hell nor cold as hell, you don’t have to worry about burning up and getting eaten by mosquitoes or slipping and breaking your neck, and you get flowers or colored leaves (my favorite fall leaves are the really bright/dark red ones).
10. “Are you calm and collected, or happy and excitable?” I can be both, depending on the circumstances. I can also be nervous, temperamental and stubborn under other circumstances.
11. “Is there someone that you currently look up to almost as an idol?” I can’t really give one solid answer for this one-I admire too many people for too many different things.
I share The Dorky Doll Collector’s nominations of Kayleigh from Adventures of a Musical Doll Collector, Christina from Christina Articulates, Ms. Leo from I-Luv-Dolls, Muff from Hey, It’s Muff, and Tam from Planet of the Dolls. I also nominate barbielea from barbiebeauties, Heather from The Doll Grotto, D7ana from A Philly Collector of Playscale Dolls and Action Figures, Limbe Dolls, Anderson’s All-Purpose at Mrs. Anderson’s All-Purpose Blog, and Debbie at Black Doll Collecting. Here are my questions:
1. Did you ever drop a grail doll from your wish list, and if so, why?
2. Sports: yes, no, or selective? (I’m selective-I follow a few teams/athletes and don’t care about sports otherwise.)
3. Let’s go for an all-time classic debate: Coke or Pepsi? (I’m a Coke gal myself.)
4. What’s your dream vacation spot?
5. If you could have any form of superhuman powers, what power or powers would you most want and which would you least want? (I’d most want to be a Time Lord and least want shining, because nothing good ever happens to people who have shining.)
6. How would you most like to reinvent yourself?
7. If you could live in another time period, when would you want to live?
8. Another classic debate: Star Wars or Star Trek? (BTW, live long and prosper.)
9. Did you ever get into an argument with a friend or family member because each of you collects something that the other absolutely cannot understand the appeal of?
10. What’s your favorite non-doll-related website?
11. Have you ever had a crush linger in your subconscious for a while-a period of months or years-and then randomly hit you with the force of a sumo wrestler?